Guidelines for Finding a Neuro Case for the Class Assignment
- Choose a case that is has a Neuroanatomical basis
- The case must include a Neuroanatomy examination and if possible, a discussion regarding its neuroanatomy
- The physican findings must include Neuroanatomy
- Cases should not be identical to the present list of cases used in class
- Cases that focus on isolated cranial nerve lesions, surgical techniques, pathology, pharmacology and microbiology are often problematic due to the diminished emphasis on neuroanatomy
- Duplicate cases are not allowed
NOTE: Cases from The New England Journal of Medicine (MGH Cases) may NOT be used for this presentation.
How to Search PubMed to Find a Neuro Case
1. Search PubMed for a subject you are interested in. Use MeSH or Keyword.
2. Click on the "Customize" under the Article Types on the left side, and choose "Case Reports". Be sure and check it for your search. You can also use keyword searching using the phrases "case report" and "case study" in the place of selecting this filter.
3. You may not want to limit the search date since there are many articles written at the time a disease is discovered.
4. Also set limits for Humans, English, and under Text Options check the box for Links to Full Text and Links to Free Full Text to retrieve only articles available full text.
5. To exclude articles from The New England Journal of Medicine, include this search string in your search:
NOT "The New England journal of medicine"[Jour]
"parkinson disease"[MeSH Terms] NOT "The New England journal of medicine"[Jour]
"parkinson disease"[MeSH Terms] NOT "The New England journal of medicine"[Jour] AND Case Reports[ptyp]